Chocolate Chip Scones
Based on this post by The Spruce Eats.
- Flour: 240 g
- Sugar: 3 Tbsp (36 g)
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder: 1 Tbsp
- Butter: 1/4 cup (1/2 stick)
- Yogurt, plain whole milk: 3/4 cup
- Vanilla, 1 tsp
- Chocolate chips: 3 oz
For egg wash:
- Egg: 1
- Water: 1 Tbsp
- Sugar: 1/2 cup (60 g)
- Water: 2 tsp
- Orange extract: 1 tsp
- Put stick of butter in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Put parchment paper on baking sheet.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, baking powder in a large bowl.
- Grate butter using big holes of box grater.
- Add grated butter to bowl with dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the center and add yogurt.
- Mix gently to form shaggy dough.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Flour counter.
- Turn out dough onto floured counter.
- Use bench scraper to fold dough several times until it comes together. Alternate vertical and horizontal folds. Try to keep it cold while working it.
- Form circle with dough approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut dough into 6 wedges.
- Use bench scraper to lift wedges and place on parchment paper on baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 425° F. No convection!
- Beat together egg and water in small dish.
- When oven is preheated, take pan out of refrigerator.
- Brush egg wash on each wedge.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Look for some golden brown on tops and for scones to spring back when poked. Bottoms should be golden brown and not burnt.
- Cool on pan.
- Mix glaze while cooling. Start with too little water and then add a little at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle glaze on scones. The scones are not very sweet themselves, so glaze generously.